May is Electrical Safety Month, so it’s a good time to refresh on the best ways to practice electrical safety in your home. Ensuring your electrical system and appliances are functioning properly and safely will keep your home and family safe from electrical malfunctions.
For more information on our electrical safety services, contact Randy’s Electric online or call us at 612-470-0914 today.
Electrical Safety Tips to Follow
Cords & Plugs
- Check all cords, plugs, surge protectors, and extension cords for fraying or exposed wire
- Do not run extension cords under carpets or over door thresholds
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for plugging a device into an outlet
- Do not overload an outlet with several high-wattage or heat-producing devices (like space heaters or coffee makers)
- Do not use surge protectors, plug strips, or extension cords for washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, air conditioners, hot water heaters, etc.
- Only use lightbulbs at or below maximum wattage listed on the lighting fixture
- Always place lamps/other lighting fixtures on a flat/level surface and at least a foot from anything flammable
- Place heat-producing appliances (such as toasters, heaters, coffee makers, etc.) away from flammable products
- Unplug kitchen and bathroom appliances when not in use
- Keep kitchen exhaust fan clean and free of obstructions (such as lint and grease)
- If you use space heaters, ensure that they receive a seal of approval from a nationally recognized testing laboratory to ensure maximum safety
Schedule Home Electrical Safety Services With Randy’s Electric
Whether you are looking to protect your sensitive home electronics, want to minimize the risk of fire or carbon monoxide poisoning, or want to install security lighting to increase the safety of your home, Randy’s Electric is here to help.